Who’s idiosyncratic vocabulary? Plenty of clues.
- Children were referred to as epsilons (because in mathematics, particularly calculus, an arbitrarily small positive quantity is commonly denoted by the Greek letter (ε))
- Women were “bosses”
- Men were “slaves”
- People who stopped doing mathematics had “died”
- People who physically died had “left”
- Alcoholic drinks were “poison”
- Music was “noise”
- People who had married were “captured”
- People who had divorced were “liberated”
- To give a mathematical lecture was “to preach”
- To give an oral exam to a student was “to torture” him/her.
- This person also gave names to countries – USA was samland, Israel was isreal, Soviet Union was joedem – named after Stalin.
Some facts about X:
1. Most shoplifted author in Britain
2. Has written two books a year on average since 1983
3. Was diagnosed with Alzhimer’s in 2007 and is now unable to write or type. He still churns out books by dictating or using speech recognition software
4. Made his own sword for his knighthood using meteorite iron
5. Loves orangutans
This eminent personality in the world of journalism, entered almost a 100 editions of the New Yorker Caption Contest, and finally won – much to the delight of his admirers. Which great man?
HUGE title hint.
XY got the nickname “X” (real name: Eric) when his high school soccer teammates suggested his spiky haircut looked like AstroTurf. Now 42, he has a shoulder-length ponytail, a salt-and-pepper goatee, and a remarkable, intellectual pedigree. Both of his grandfathers won Nobel prizes. His maternal grandfather, Gerard Debreu, was an economist; his paternal grandfather, the famed and controversial physicist Edward Y, worked on the Manhattan Project and is considered the father of the atomic bomb (as well as a model for Dr. Strangelove).
XY was proposing that Z buy Makani Power, a startup that develops wind turbines mounted on unmanned, fixed-wing aircraft tethered to the ground like a kite.
Z has also bought out – reCAPTCHA, BumpTop, Zagat, amongs at least 100 more companies.
What is XY the head of at Z?
With this stud-like family, and amazing qualifications of his own – who is XY?
Pictures of 3 tennis stars are given below. Id all three – which is the super easy part. Also tell me, what name is given to the trio given that they all burst onto the tennis scene with a splash in the 1970s?
Try to get creative – very gettable answer!
Who is Tom Hanks portraying in this picture?
Where would you find all this?
The lower section of text gives these proportions:
- the length of the outspread arms is equal to the height of a man
- from the hairline to the bottom of the chin is one-tenth of the height of a man
- from below the chin to the top of the head is one-eighth of the height of a man
- from above the chest to the top of the head is one-sixth of the height of a man
- from above the chest to the hairline is one-seventh of the height of a man.
- the maximum width of the shoulders is a quarter of the height of a man.
- from the breasts to the top of the head is a quarter of the height of a man.
- the distance from the elbow to the tip of the hand is a quarter of the height of a man.
- the distance from the elbow to the armpit is one-eighth of the height of a man.
- the length of the hand is one-tenth of the height of a man.
In October 2012 X received the Human Rights Campaign’s Visibility Award. In her acceptance speech she revealed that she had considered committing suicide once in her youth. X’s acceptance speech was one of the longest public appearances that either of the notoriously reclusive siblings has ever given. She began by explaining that while she and her brother had not publicly commented on her transitioning during the past decade of rumors about it, this was not because she was ashamed of it, nor had she kept it a secret from her family and friends. Rather, X had not commented about her transitioning due to a general shyness about the news media that both she and her brother possess. Comparing it to losing one’s virginity as an event which only happens once and is irreversible, the Ys had tried to stay out of the public eye and avoided giving interviews due to fear of losing their personal privacy, fearing that they would never be able to go to a public restaurant again without being noticed and harassed as celebrities.
Name the really famous siblings, whose works are well-known in their industry.
Y – family name of the siblings.
Workoutable from context if you’ve heard this HUGE bit of news somewhere in 2012.